If you are planning to adopt or buy a Basset hound, you should first learn about the Basset hound’s temperament and calculate if you can manage. Many owners choose to give their Bassets up for adoption just because they didn’t research the Basset’s temperament and medical conditions. So, let’s talk about the Basset Hound’s temperament.
The Basset Hound is a tenacious, affectionate, devoted, friendly, sweet-tempered, gentle dog that gets along with young children and other pets. It is a great dog for first-time owners who do not have an active lifestyle.
The Temperament of a Basset Hound
All dogs have different temperaments. Some temperament traits are associated with the dog breed and some are associated with the particular dog. When it comes to Basset Hounds, their temperament is more good than bad. Here are the temperament traits associated with the Basset hound breed:
1. Bassets are tenacious
Basset hounds are known for their tenacious temperament. They were originally bred as hunting dogs. A successful hunting dog has to have a tenacious temperament. Basset hounds are not very fast runners, but they have great endurance. Once they set their mind a prey, they will not stop until they catch it.
Having a tenacious temperament did wonders for the Basset Hounds back in their hunting days. But, how is their tenacious temperament working for them now as a house pet? What should you expect from Basset’s tenacious personality trait?
To be tenacious means to be persistent. Usually, the tenacious temperament is considered a good personality trait because people with this personality trait will set their mind on something and achieve it. But, imagine living with a tenacious Basset Hound. What happens when he sets his mind on stealing your food from the kitchen top?
The basset hound is known to conquer any obstacle that can be found between him and his goal. Their goal is usually to chase prey, lay on the couch, or steal your food. For your own safety and the safety of your Basset hound, you should focus on obedience training. It can be cute when your Basset hound climbs a chair in order to eat the food off of your plate, but it’s not cute when your Basset starts running across a busy street to chase a squirrel.
Basset Hound’s Tenacious Temperament Means:
- Tenacious or persistent. If your Basset hound sets his mind on something, he will go through with it. Once his tenacious personality trait kicks in, he will completely disregard you.
- Bassets will do what’s needed to be done. When chasing prey, the Basset hound will jump obstacles, dig holes, and run long distances until he catches the prey.
- Tenacious Basset hounds react positively to the negative stuff. If you scold them for running when they aren’t supposed to or jumping on and off the couch, they will not hold a grudge against you and will move forward. It’s in their DNA to be tenacious.
2. Bassets are affectionate
Basset hounds are very affectionate and that’s why people love them. Giving, loving, and caring for their owners is what fulfills the Basset hound. Basset hounds will get out of their comfort zone if needed, just so they don’t hurt you and your feelings. What I mean by this is if you want to cuddle with your Basset Hound, he will cuddle with you even when he doesn’t feel like it just so he doesn’t hurt your feelings.
When my son was one year old, he and my Basset became close friends. But, my son as a one-year-old often tried to pull the Basset’s ears, or put fingers in his nose. Now, of course, whenever I saw this I told my boy to stop, but many times this went unnoticed. The Basset Hound for sure didn’t enjoy being poked in the nose or his ears being pulled, but he went out of his comfort zone just so he doesn’t make my son sad.
I just cannot imagine how these sweet, chubby, and loving dogs used to hunt and hurt other animals. Now, all Bassets do is display fondness and tenderness towards their owners and family members. I can say for sure that the Basset hound dog breed is one of the most affectionate breeds out there.
Basset Hound’s Affectionate Temperament Means:
- Your Basset hound will say that he loves you with his eyes. They will look at you and follow you everywhere you go. The best thing is that even though Bassets are affectionate, they are not jealous.
- Basset hounds will do everything to satisfy you. If it’s hugging you want, hugging you will get. They will cuddle with you when you want, even though they sometimes don’t feel like cuddling.
- They will often place their head in your hands and request to be petted. Please do give your Basset lots of pets and verbal praise because that’s what makes them happy.
- If you aren’t feeling well, there is a good chance that your Basset will sense that and will be worried about you. If you have a headache, expect your Basset hound to be close to you and try to make you feel better.
3. Bassets are devoted
Basset Hounds are devoted to their owner and family members, especially to children. They are the type of dog that will love and care about all of the family members. Bassets don’t have a favorite family member and will bond with all members.
The Basset Hound enjoys it when all the family gets together and has a good time. They prefer the company of more people. Even though the Basset hounds were independent hunting dogs, now, they will rather follow than lead. If I am asked to describe Basset hounds, I will say that they are devoted, caring, loving, and loyal to their owners.
Basset Hound’s Devoted Temperament Means:
- Basset hounds are devoted to all family members. They don’t have a favorite family member and will play and cuddle with everyone.
- They are loyal, and caring, and will do anything to make you happy.
- Basset hounds will put themselves in a less dominant position and will let you lead. With a little bit of training, they will learn to agree with everything you tell them to do.
- The Basset hounds love spending time with the family. They are very happy when there is a family reunion.
- Basset hounds can easily form new bonds which are great when you introduce them to your friends.
- Dedication is their second name.
4. Basset Hounds are friendly
Basset hounds are very friendly with people, other dogs, and cats. They are known for their friendliness and many dogs and cat owners choose the Basset breed as their second pet. Because of their friendly temperament, Basset hounds will get along with your dog, but you have to make sure that your dog is okay with the Basset Hound.
Apart from dogs, Basset hounds get along great with cats. But, if you have a very tiny kitten, make sure to supervise the playground because it is possible for the Basset to confuse a small kitten with prey.
Many adults and children are proud to call their Basset hounds ”friends”. Many veterinarians say that Basset hounds don’t have a mean bone in their body and will be open to making new friends.
Basset Hound’s Friendly Temperament Means:
- Basset hounds are pleasant to be around. You don’t have to worry whether your dog will love your friends. They are so friendly that they will even lick a burglar.
- You and your children will always have a friend who will spend time with you.
- Bassets bark but not for a mean reason. They bark when they are left alone and it is more of a cry for help rather than a sign of aggression.
- Spending time with you is their number one priority. It is hard for the Basset hound when you leave for work.
- Basset hounds are a great pet choice especially if you already have pets. It won’t be long till they become friends.
5. They are sweet-Tempered
Basset hounds are sweet-tempered by default. They are born sweet-tempered and will continue to be sweet-tempered as long as you raise them in a happy and loving household. Bassets have these cute, round, kind of sad eyes which tells you a lot about their personality.
Basset Hounds are naturally friendly and pleasant to be around. They don’t get angry or upset easily. I know that many people will say that a dog can’t be your friend, but you my friend obviously haven’t met a Basset hound. They project happiness to everyone they meet and will be there for you. Did you know that Basset hounds are great emotional support dogs?
Basset Hound’s Sweet-Tempered Trait Means:
- They don’t get annoyed or angered easily.
- They don’t have a mean bone in their body.
- Basset hounds are naturally friendly. It is simply pleasant to be around a Basset hound.
- Their good temper makes them very desirable family pets.
6. Bassets are gentle
Basset Hounds are gentle to both humans and animals. Because of their gentleness, many Basset owners let them play with their small children. It can be tricky to let your toddler play with a dog because they could Gentleness is considered a strength both in humans and dogs. A gentle basset hound will react calmly in a stressful situation.
Even though Basset hounds have other great personality traits, gentleness is probably their best one. Many people describe them as gentle giants. I know they aren’t considered large dogs, but their body build makes them look like one.